I worked in a bar for about 3 months. The bar was Mama’s Gin Joint. Mama’s was ran by a lesbian couple who were big in the LGBTQ scene. Their names were Mama and Papi. Sweetest people ever! I still miss being with them every day. When I started working there I was nervous, not sure what to do because I had never worked in a bar before. Everyone knew me as the baby of the bar. And I was the baby of the bar. Little did I know that I would be doing drag way more often and actually being able to act like my true self. All types of people came into the bar. Gay, straight, queer, you name it. A new person came in every day. Working as one of the bartenders was a hard job but it really showed me that even though I am full of mental disorders, I can do what I want. I was able to push myself to get the job done even though inside some days I was about to break down to pieces. Yeah sure there were days where I would go and color in Mama’s office but then I would get up and keep going.
How did I meet Mama and get the job you may ask? It’s kind of funny honestly. My drag mom, Lola Lamore got me to do a show with her at the newer bar on Jasper Ave. I felt super excited because I was actually getting to perform in a bar. I hadn’t ever done that before. Nik and I got to the bar about an hour early and waited for Lola to get there. Once Lola got there we started getting ready. I was doing a song in the first half and in the second half. The butterflies in my tummy began. It was showtime. Mama introduced Lola and ……………… and then the first queen went on. Everyone was clapping when it ended. All of a sudden it was my turn. I was doing Work Shoes by USS. Great song to perform to. My dance went great. The owner of the bar came and tipped me $5. My heart was racing for a while after my dance because I felt so exhilarated. Change clothes, gotta change my clothes. During intermission Mama came up to me and introduced herself. I was so nervous because I found Mama very attractive. We had a little chat about me doing drag and that she thought I was good. Thump thump, thump thump, my heart was racing. I thanked her and went back to sit with Nik. He told me that I did great and that a lady came and talked to him asking for my phone number and also asking if Nik and I are Polyamorous. What??? Two people talking about me and wanting to get my contact information in the same night?? What was going on?? The next song I did was Sorry by Justin Bieber. I wasn’t as nervous and just had fun with this song. After the song, Nik and I left because he had to work in the morning. Before I left we hugged everyone good bye including the people we had just met that night. That night I looked on my facebook and Mama had sent me a friend request. I was so excited I ran downstairs and told Nik. He started laughing at how excited I was. All of a sudden I had this crazy idea. I wanted to ask for a job at the bar. The next day Nik and I went to the bar together. I didn’t want to go alone and we had told Mama that Nik is my Dominant partner and that he help me in situations like this. We got there and waited for Mama. She came over and gave us big hugs and asked us what this was about. Then I think that she noticed my papers in my hand because she decided to take us to her office. I told her that I’m not the healthiest but I think I would be a good person to have for just a couple days a week. Mama immediately agreed that I could join the family :). Some people were kind of surprised that she hired me in only 2 days of knowing me but we get that “vibe” from each other. Those 3 months that I worked there part time were amazing. I regret nothing!
There’s this one song that Mama performed at Sassy’s birthday party in 2016. The song is “I’m gonna show you crazy” by Bebe Rexha. The song talks about how you can just be yourself and that you don’t have to follow all of the stupid things society wants. “I’m tired of trying to be normal” is one of the lyrics. When I saw Mama dancing that night to this song it just hit my heart. I finally figured out that I don’t need to be anyone but myself and if someone doesn’t like what I do, they can suck it!
No comments:
Post a Comment